Monday, February 21, 2011

My First Set of Wheels

As I am sitting looking out the window at the snow falling for the millionth time this winter I am daydreaming about spring. This is partly brought on by the gardening catalogues I received in the mail and partly because I am thinking about my bike in winter storage with warm memories.

Do you remember the first bike you ever had? I remember it clearly - it was a royal blue girl's bike with a matching banana seat and streamers and, of course, a white basket with bright flowers. It came with training wheels that over time were lifted higher and higher until...I was flying on my bike on my own! The sense of freedom I had with my first bike is almost indescribable. I was 7 years old and all of a sudden I was free. Free from my parents, free to go visit my friends, free to ride to the corner store, free to ride to school...what an incredible feeling. When I went back to the old neighborhood to visit, I realized that my huge world of freedom was basically one square block and I was never really out of sight. I could swear that I rode for miles and miles.

Alas, my first bike was stolen off the front porch and shortly after that summer we moved to northern NY to get away from the crime and city life. I then moved up to my first 10 speed. My best friend had a beautiful bike. A brand new 10 speed red and shiny. My parents were not as able to buy a brand new shiny bike. My bike was a little worn and at first I was a little embarrassed riding a used bike but then the familiar feelings returned - freedom and adventure! The fact  that bike wasn't that pretty did not matter at all.  My best friend and I actually did ride our bikes for miles and miles every summer. We would pack our backpacks with lunch and head off for an adventure not returning until late afternoon. We would explore the many rural back roads, trails and creeks. We would also ride to the town softball games in the evening but I think this had to do with another sort of scenery we were watching.

As we grew up we started driving cars and eventually the bike became something we used for an occasional ride when we had time. Now as adults when we ride, we take pleasure in the same things as we did as kids but now the ride is about the freedom from the daily chores and stress and just enjoying being out on the road with some solitude.

So if you have an old bike take it out and either ride it yourself or donate it to a child. There are many children who have never had a bike and have never been able to experience the freedom that a bike represents. I realize that allowing young children to ride around all day without the parents knowing where they are is a thing of the past but there are great places for kids to ride in their neighborhoods or on bike paths. There are some local organizations like Albany Bike Rescue and the Troy Bike Rescue that fix up bikes and teach people how to maintain their own bikes. Check them out.

Spring will be here soon (I swear it will). Wouldn't it be great if more kids could have bikes and begin a lifelong love affair with the bicycle for health and happiness!

No comments:

Post a Comment