Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Welcome to the Albany NY American Diabetes Association Blog!

I am very happy to posting this first message on our new blog. I should start by telling you a little bit about the Albany office. We are an office of 4 people. The Director, Amy Young, has been with the ADA for over 14 years and she oversees the various functions of the office. Denise Nicastro is the Associate Director in charge of our awesome Saratoga Springs Tour de Cure. I am the marketing person behind all of our events including updates to our website. Our newest member, Anne Marsolais, is our office coordinator making sure things run smoothly. She also goes out to area health fairs and diabetes awareness programs.

Now for some alarming numbers. Since Amy began at the ADA 14 years ago, the total amount of people who have diabetes has grown from just over 10 million in 1997 to over 25 million today. The total amount of people with prediabetes has grown from 57 million in 2007 to 79 million!

So, what can we do? The ADA is the lead organization in the fight to Stop Diabetes. We are spreading the word on the risk factors for the disease and diabetes prevention as well as supporting those living with diabetes with education. In order to support these things as well as funding important research, we fundraise.

About 6 years ago my mother was diagnosed with diabetes. I was searching online for info on diabetes and came across the information for the Stillwater Tour de Cure. I signed up and rode the 50 mile route in honor of my mother. The experience was not anything I expected. I first started to get excited - and a little nervous - the closer I got to Stillwater. There were more and more cyclists with bikes loaded on the cars. As we all parked and unloaded I got in line for registration. This was my first cycling event ever so I did not know what to expect. I was put at ease by the friendly volunteers who made me feel welcomed. When I was at the start line I heard the ADA staff do the countdown with the diabetes statistics which only confirmed to me why I was there. The route was a challenge but riding with so many other people was inspiring. The best part for me was when I got the end and I was surprised by seeing my mother who brought my two daughters to cheer me in.

To experience the Tour de Cure is to feel like you are part of something bigger than yourself. That you are coming together as a whole to fight, pedal by pedal, against this horrible disease. The following year and for years after I was honored by riding the Tour with my daughter, Rachel.

If you are looking for an incredible experience whether as a volunteer or as a cyclist check out the Tour website.

No comments:

Post a Comment